Hispanic Heritage Month at Amador

Ritka Ghosh

The Hispanic community makes up the largest racial and ethnic group in America and includes people from all of northern and Latin America.

Ritika Ghosh, AVRadio Editor

Hispanic Heritage Month, from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15 is a time to honor and celebrate those who came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, and South America. 

“As a Columbian, I celebrated knowing that we have different Hispanic leaders, and I enjoy hearing from them and reading about their history and experiences. It makes me think that we can do it and that it can be done,” said Parent Liaison Martha Acevedo. 

The 15th is a day that marks the independence of multiple Latin American countries. Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua all celebrate their independence from Spain on September 15. 

“Even though I was born here my parents are both from Mexico and it’s important to celebrate and know where you came from. We normally just have a big feast with our family on September 15th and we watch catch this special program called El Grito that goes on in Mexico on TV.” said Esmeralda Vàsquez (‘25).

Hispanic Heritage Month initially began as a commemorative week as a response to the Latinx civil rights movement. It was only enacted as a national month of celebration in 1968 by President Lyndon B Johnson.

“To me, Hispanic Heritage Month shows the progress we’ve made throughout history and how far we’ve gotten considering that we have a  whole month for it now. I think it’s important to celebrate because you learn more about the culture and what we do and so I think it’s nice that we have all of this” said Yatziri Hernàndez (‘25).

Independence Day, a part of the celebration for Hispanic Heritage Month, is usually celebrated with large amounts of food, fun, and other festivities. In Mexico, Independence day is celebrated with parades and fireworks, and here in the Us, many families have a feast. 

“Since Hispanic Heritage Month is in September, we have a whole party for Independence Day in Mexico where we have all our friends over and make food,” said Yasmin Martinez (‘23).

During El Grito and Hispanic Heritage Month, students feel connected to themselves as they learn more about their language and where they come from, adding to the rich culture of the Hispanic community.

“It’s important to stay educated because we can learn about the culture of the different countries, how they are different and diverse. Even though it’s Hispanic Heritage Month, there is a wide range of countries and each country is unique in their richness,” said Acevedo.