The start of the MLB season and why students are excited

Evan Garber

A view of Oracle Park, the stadium where the San Francisco Giants play, on Opening Day.

Evan Garber, Staff Writer

After an eventful offseason filled with trades and a 99 day lockout, the MLB season is finally here. Many stars changed teams, and fans can’t wait to see how the season unfolds.

“I think that the Astros will probably put up a good fight and the Dodgers of course, [with them] signing Freddie Freeman” said JV Baseball Player Riley Borges (‘24). 

The Los Angeles Dodgers are the World Series favorites at +500 odds with the Blue Jays and Braves coming in second and third. However, teams like the 2019 Nationals have proven that odds are just a number.

“I want to say the Dodgers [are going to win the World Series]. But baseball is baseball, and anything [can] happen in the postseason,” said JV Baseball Player Giacomo Colella (‘23).

The San Francisco Giants roster looks  different this season. The team lost two key players, Kevin Gausman and Buster Posey, and the team will turn to the second overall pick in 2018, Joey Bart, to replace Posey. Nonetheless, fans are excited to see how the team follows up an historic season, with new players Carlos Rodon and Joc Pederson joining the roster

“This season I don’t think they [San Francisco Giants] are going to have as good of a season as last year but I think they are going to do pretty [well]. [I think that they will] finish second or third in their division,” said JV Baseball Player Jason Alonso (‘24). 

The Oakland Athletics had an interesting offseason trading away stars Matt Olson, Matt Chapman, and Chris Bassit. The team hopes to develop their young core to compete again in the future. 

“I think that for what they needed they got a pretty good return. Obviously it wasn’t the best they could get, but it’s something that they could build upon and win sooner rather than later,” said A’s Fan Andrew Holmes (‘23).