Asian representation in the NBA: Growing inclusivity in sports

Basketball is taking a step towards inclusivity on and off the TV screen.

Kazuya Yasui, Staff Writer

In the past, there have been a number of notable Asian Americans in professional basketball. Names such as Yao Ming or Jeremy Lin are the first to come to mind. However compared to others, Asians have been underrepresented in the NBA and other professional basketball leagues. Recently, more Asians and Asian Americans have been popping up in the scene of professional basketball.

“I think it was great to see Jeremy Lin flourishing in the NBA and inspiring many Asian-American kids around the globe that they can do anything if they put their minds to it,” said Peter Diepenbrock, Jeremey Lin’s high school basketball coach. 

In 2018, Yuta Watanabe was signed by the Grizzlies, and this season is playing meaningful minutes on the Toronto Raptors. In 2019, Rui Hachimura was drafted with the ninth pick in the draft. On top of that, young Filipinos like Jordan Clarkson and Jalen Green have been lighting up stat sheets on their respective teams. Jordan Clarkson was the Sixth Man of the Year in the 2020-21 season. 

“Jalen Green, being so young and athletic, is an exciting player to watch. Although this season has been a bit underwhelming, he definitely has potential to become a top player in the NBA,” said Devon Hunyh (‘22)

The increase in Asian representation has not been limited to the NBA. In the NCAA, players such as Johnny Juzang, Lee Hyung-Jung, or Zach Edey have been leading their teams in March Madness. Juzang in particular is one of the bigger names in NCAA basketball and is projected to get drafted in the low first to high second round pick in the 2022 NBA draft.

“It’s really fun to watch Juzang play. He is such a good shot creator and maker, so everytime he puts the ball in the air, you are always expecting the ball to go into the net,” said Ibrahim Riazi (‘23).

A lot of this Asian and Asian-American success in professional basketball can be attributed to David Stern and his campaign to grow the popularity of basketball in Asia, notably China, in the 1990s. Recently, NBA players such as Kevin Durant or Stephen Curry have also been going to China and holding training camps and meet and greets to continue the growth of basketball in China. 

“Although David Stern does get some bad rep from the basketball community, the campaign in China definitely is one of the most impactful events for basketball and its popularity,” said Riazi

Representation for all minorities is important in any aspect of life. The rise of Asian representation in the NBA corresponds to the rise of Asian representation throughout American media. Whether from sports, to movies, or influencers, this garners a  positive impact for the Asian-American community.

“Asian-American culture is flourishing right now, and seeing Asians in sports or movies is proof of that. It feels good that we are being represented.” said Zhouqi Wang (‘25).