PPIE Run to occur on April 24 — registrations are open

PPIE Pleasanton Run

Sign up for an event (5K, 10K, or 15K) through the PPIE Pleasanton Run website.

Emma Ka, Staff Writer

This year, Pleasanton Partnerships in Education (PPIE) has returned in person with their 10th annual Run for Education. Its purpose is to raise funds for local schools and the education system as a whole, which is composed of 15 public schools and over 14,500 students. 

“We want to provide an opportunity for the Pleasanton community to gather together while supporting our schools,” said Kelly French, President of PPIE.

The event is a family-friendly race with a route that winds from the Alameda County Fairgrounds through downtown Pleasanton. Adults and children can both sign up for 5K, 10K, 15K races, or a non competitive Kids’ Challenge (1/4 miles) for those aged 11 or younger. 

“My whole family signs up every year to participate in the run. It’s almost like a tradition for us,” said Handson Li (‘23).

The event will take place on April 24, 2022 at the Alameda County Fairgrounds. The 10K and 15K races begin at 7:50 am, the 5K begins at 8:00 am, and the Kids’ Challenge begins at 9:15 am. As part of entry, each participant will be given a short sleeve T-shirt, bib number, goody bag, finisher medal, as well as a recorded time. After the event, there will also be carnival-style tents offering food and refreshments. 

“I signed up because I love running and I’ve participated in the run since first grade. It’s always been super fun and also the food at the end is really good,” said Melissa Chen (‘23).

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, people are encouraged to maintain social distancing and wear masks. However, it is not required, and there are no other changes to the race other than that.

“Registration is on pace to be higher than pre-pandemic numbers in 2019, and we’re really looking forward to getting the community back out and in person at our signature event,” said French.

To support PPIE, you can sign up for the run through the PPIE website and share the news with friends, relatives, and any other community members to promote participation. Donations are always appreciated as well to help provide additional educational resources for Pleasanton’s students. Other than financial support, volunteering is also more than encouraged. 

“Students who want to get involved with the run and earn community service hours are more than welcome,” said French

There are a variety of opportunities on race day for those interested, including, but not limited to, registration (handing out supplies such as bibs and T-shirts), course marshaling (directing runners and walkers to ensure they stay on the right path), set up (unloading items from vehicles), and finish line medal and water distribution. You can find more information and opportunities on the sign up website.