A preview of Amador Girls Lacrosse 2022

Chelsea Randel

The Varsity Girls’ Lacrosse team was faced with hail during practice, but that did not stop them from working hard on the field.

Giuliana Barthel, Staff Writer

As the Spring season of sports starts up, Girls’ Lacrosse, one of Amador’s beloved sports, is ready to start the season off with a bang. With this year being the first full season for lacrosse since 2019 due to COVID, the players and coaches are excited to get back on the field. They have high expectations for this competitive season. 

“I’m really looking forward to playing some of the harder teams. For the last two years, we haven’t played teams out of our league like Saint Iglesia or Redwood High School, so I think we will have a more competitive season,” says Varsity Player Celeste Murphy (‘23). 

This year the Varsity team has nine returning players and nine new players. This group of girls view each other as a tight-knit team regardless of the new and old players. Both the coaches and players acknowledge that this will prove to be a strength on the field and throughout the season. 

“I am really impressed with how well connected the team is, and I’m looking forward to a great season of games. The closeness of the players will be apparent on the field and really work in our favor,” says Assistant Coach Sara Quero. 

The Varsity team has had their fair share of accomplishments on the field. The Girls’ Varsity Lacrosse team has had an outstanding record in the past four years. 

“In the past four years, we have not lost a single league game, and I am hoping to keep that streak going this season,” says Varsity Player Emma Rathjen (‘22). 

Of course, the success of the Amador Girls’ Lacrosse Program cannot be celebrated without acknowledging the head coach, Chelsea Randel, and assistant coach, Sara Quero. This will be their eighth season coaching at Amador and they are inspirational role models to many of their  players. 

“Chelsea and Sara are two of the best coaches I’ve ever had. They are really into building you as a person on and off the field, and I have learned a lot about hard work from them,” says Rathjen (‘22). 

The lacrosse coaches have announced that this is their last season coaching at Amador Valley. They have high hopes and expectations for this season. It is very clear that Chelsea and Sara want to end their last season on a strong note. 

“One thing I am aiming for is to be in the NCS championship and win the NCS championship. As a coach, I have been to the championship game twice and came in second place both times. I know the team has the capability to go and win it all this year,”  says Head Coach Chelsea Randel.

This season, Junior Varsity and Varsity play their games on Tuesdays and Fridays and practice the other days of the school week. However, their first game is this Saturday against Davis High School at their home. Get ready to show up and support the Amador Valley Girls’ Lacrosse team this season.