Varsity Boys Basketball wins their first home game

Colton+Cash+%28%E2%80%9823%29+takes+a+free+throw+that+goes+straight+through+the+hoop%2C+making+the+basket.+

Giuliana Barthel

Colton Cash (‘23) takes a free throw that goes straight through the hoop, making the basket.

Cortney Fiske, Staff Writer

The Varsity Boys Basketball team recently won their first home game against Washington High School. While many sports have been unable to compete in the past year, players and fans are excited for the official return of the Dons to the court.

“Since we have a new coaching staff this year, I think that there is a sense of rejuvenation in the locker room. Everyone on the team is brought into the new system surrounding the team.” said starting shooting guard Foster Keast (‘22).

As there is only a 10 point difference in the game, Brady Nasar (‘23), Logan Roloff (‘22), Jesse Huang (‘23), Javier Gros-Suanzes (‘23) watch their teammate’s game intensely. (Giuliana Barthel)

The boys haven’t played with and official game schedule for quite some time, so it will take some work to get back into the swing of things.

Coming back from covid means that there will be a lot more games so we will all be tired, but we will all get in shape,” said defensive player Logan Roloff (‘22).

For their first game back, the Dons killed it. Keast made several of his free throws to gain more and more points for the Dons. Coach Garnder and benched players scream and yell in encouragement for the players on the court as they run up and down the floor. 

“There was no drop-off in intensity from the starting five to bench players,” said Keast.

It was an exciting game, the point differential being roughly 10 points throughout. Leading court player, Colton Cash (‘23) had the highest point average scoring 25 points for the team. Keast and Tyler Cheng (‘23) had great courtship strategies that allowed them to work well together. Keast is a very valuable player as he is quick and precise with his plays.

“I believe that as a team we can get better defensively,” said Keast. 

The players are excited for the improvements the team is looking to make moving forward. It’s still the start of the season which allows room for hard work and new strategies. 

Tyler Cheng (‘23) faces his opponent, getting ready to play some defense as the game unpauses. (Giuliana Barthel)

“Our weaknesses are …we are not going to be bigger than most teams so rebounding is difficult,” said Roloff. 

The final score of the game was a victory for the Dons with 68-61. Hopefully we see more wins to come as the season continues.