Sports and school: how student athletes balance

Finding the perfect balance between sports and school work can be very mentally and physically straining.

Ritika Gupta, AVT Editor

The life of a student athlete is a busy one. They constantly have to balance hours of homework and practices and find a way to be successful in both.

“The hardest classes I’m taking are AP Computer Science and AP Calculus AB. My homework probably takes two hours a day, and I practice [football] four days a week for about two hours and have games on Fridays,” said varsity football player Ryan Brace (‘22).

Finding a way to get homework done can be tough with hours of practice everyday. Athletes must take advantage of whatever time they have to get work done.

“I think using your access periods is a really useful way [to finish homework], and I try to get a lot of my homework done during access. Also just being productive in class and understanding stuff, that way when I come to do my homework, I know what to do,” said Brace.

For many, balancing school and sports can put a lot of stress on them, while others find an escape through sports and use exercise as a way to relax through a hard day of school. In fact, according to a research article by the Harvard Medical School in July, 2020, “exercise reduces levels of the body’s stress hormones, such as adrenaline and cortisol.” 

“I would say that school sometimes gets me a little stressed out. I think sports actually help my mental health. Even though it gives me less time, it helps me stay focused in school. It’s like a stress-relief doing exercise,” said Volleyball/Basketball player Nate Clinton (‘23).

Student athletes face seemingly never ending to-do lists. Bouncing between academics and athletics can be demanding on their mental health. But overall, this lack of free time can serve as a form of motivation for getting work done.

“It’s definitely difficult [to balance sports and school], but in a way it actually makes me more motivated to get my homework done because I can’t procrastinate. I have to get home and be productive right away,” said Brace.