Clubs are in big need for advisors — teachers need more gratitude

Arlina Yang

The lack of advisors could make it difficult for clubs to apply to become an official club as it is one of the requirements.

Arlina Yang, AVtv Editor-in-Chief

With the number of new clubs steadily increasing each year, club officers are searching for teachers willing to be advisors, with a low success rate.

“I think that many teachers right now are feeling spread thin because we have a new bell schedule, new students…we are giving 100% to so many things that we would feel guilty if we took on a club and we couldn’t give it our full attention,” said Mrs. Kamali, Honors English teacher. 

The ratio of clubs to teachers is unbalanced while teachers have had to tackle bigger tasks as students come back from an online school year. 

“The hardest part about starting a club is finding an advisor. It’s really overwhelming because I have everything ready, but the teachers are all busy so they would decline my request,” said Mark Attia (‘23)

From an outside perspective it may seem that a club advisor does just that — advises and helps manage the club from an adult’s perspective with less busy work, but it is still another responsibility that teachers would have to carry on top of everything else they do.

“The members of [Amador Writers Ensemble] club are very appreciative and respectful of my time…and I really like doing it (being a club advisor),” said Kamali

Most teachers have plenty on their plate this year as they juggle between students, family, and COVID guidelines that has only added stress to the teachers. While clubs are an important part of Amador, the teacher advisors also are. It is important to give credit and gratitude to Amador teachers for all that they do.