Anika Aeka (‘24) collects books for Middle East classrooms

Anika Aeka

Anika Aeka (’24) smiles as she drops off books.

River Johnson, Senior Staff Writer

How many people can say that they’ve helped give over 5,000 books to children in need? Well, the count is at least one, and it’s Amador freshman Anika Aeka (’24)

“The exact number is 6,449, and that is based off of four donations over the past four years,” says Aeka (’24) . With the help of the East Bay Children’s Book Project, Anika has helped many children and teachers across the Bay Area get books and literature for their classes and enjoyment. Although the East Bay Children’s Book Project flies under the radar, its objective is simple to understand.

“Basically what they do is they take books and put them in this little room, then sort them by grade level and reading style. Then teachers from schools around the Bay Area can come in and choose books for their classrooms. I’ve been working on getting donation bins placed at the new Grocery Outlet, but other than that if you want to help then you can email me at [email protected],” says Aeka (’24).

The East Bay Children’s Book Project aims to make the world a better place by giving people like Anika the power to help others in such a massive way. If you would like to help children get the literature they need, please feel free to send Anika an email at her address.

“This is really cliche, but I believe that books can change the world because they really inspire you to think differently and they can shape your future. They can show you knew topics that maybe you wouldn’t have been exposed to if you couldn’t read. It really opens up a whole new avenue,” says Aeka (’24). This view is no doubt shared by many across the Amador campus, and certainly around the world. Hopefully we will see more and more Amador students and people around the world step up to help others in need like Anika has.

“My goal is to get as many books as I can into the hands of young people who want them. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter how many, just as long as it goes to a good cause,” says Aeka (’24).