Spooky Superstitions at Amador High

Chehel Lakhwara, Staff Writer

Superstitions and spooks go hand in hand, especially during the month of Halloween.

A superstition is an excessively credulous belief in and reverence for supernatural beings. Many cultures hold strong superstitions on certain things. For example, a common Halloween superstition is if a black cat crosses your path, you will get bad luck.

“I do believe in some superstitions like the one where if you walk underneath a ladder, you are cursed for eternity of bad luck. And I do believe that there are haunted places, I don’t really believe in ghosts, but I believe that things are haunted it sounds a little contradictory but in one of my old houses in China where my relatives live in, sometimes at night you can hear this really weird voice, so that was engraved in my head when I was a kid,” said Ann Li (‘20).

There are many things students keep up in order to maintain their luck, especially on test days.

“I have a lucky charm that I carry around for AP tests, it’s a small figurine of a pokemon, it’s my favorite pokemon, a poliwhirl, it’s a small figurine that I carry around in my pocket when I take those tests. Since I’ve carried it, I’ve gotten As on all the tests I’ve taken,” said Ann Li.

Some family members of our students have their own superstitions and lucky charms.

“For my sister she always wears pink KT tape on her leg, because ever since she wore pink KT tape, she has always done well in her races.” said Emily Gallagher (‘21)

Some strictly adhere to their superstitions.

“When I moved into my new house , the day we were supposed to move in, there was a crow on the lamp post, my mom thought that it was bad luck so we moved in the next day” said Aditya Bhandari (‘21)

Superstitions have been around since the dawn of time and it seems like they will keep on going throughout the years.