Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month: How do students and our local community celebrate?

Rishit Agnihotri

In 1992, AAPI Heritage Week was expanded and officially designated as AAPI Heritage Month to provide a broader platform for recognizing and appreciating the multifaceted contributions of such groups to the United States.

In celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month, communities across the nation (and at Amador) are joining hands to honor and highlight the rich cultural contributions, achievements, and resilience of AAPI individuals

While many groups are recognized via such heritage months, AAPI Heritage Month has been notably ambiguous, with many students confused as to which cultural groups are included. 

“I did not really really know that it was Asian Pacific American Heritage Month. I heard about small local cultural events, but nothing out of the ordinary,” said Ryan Boright (‘25).

Despite the large student population belonging to the Asian diaspora at Amador, the month is not as highly commemorated in comparison to other heritage months. However, major corporations, such as Google, are making concerted efforts to acknowledge and honor the contributions of AAPI individuals in society.

“There should be a rise in awareness for the month. Celebrating different pioneers from different cultures and talking about some of the founders of things that people care about is a good start for students to learn what it really means to learn about the heritage,” said AP Computer Science Teacher Kevin Kiyoi.

Limited campus recognition of AAPI Heritage Month has prompted many students to neglect the month entirely. Further, the ongoing confusion surrounding the term “Asian American” and its inclusive scope remains a persistent concern.

“Asian Pacific American Heritage Month provides us all an opportunity to reflect upon this community’s many contributions and to celebrate its bright future,” said United States Representative Nydia Velazquez.