Library offers new services to students

Adds free New York Times subscription, podcast studio

Katy Clark

In the past, students and teachers alike without a subscription might have had to deal with messages like this when they try to view an article from the New York Times.

Amador Valley recently received a school-wide digital subscription to the New York Times. As long as a student or staff member is connected to PUSD wifi, they can access the New York Times free of charge.

“This is open access to many of the resources the New York Times has to offer. The New York Times is the flagship newspaper of the United States, providing in-depth information to topics that are current and in the news, said School Librarian Erik Scherer.

This helps students, who in the past might not have had access to The  Times for research, learn more about a topic or simply read for enjoyment. They also can have access to sports website The Athletic for any sports-related news.

“I would definitely use the New York Times access subscription that the school is offering  because I read New York Times articles not just for school, but also when I am bored or scrolling through my phone, so having free access is definitely super helpful,” said Nika Motaghedi (‘23).

The library also added a new podcast studio that is now ready for student use. Located in conference room C, it comes with a professional microphone, soundboard, and computer. 

“I think it would be good for journalism. I basically live for podcasts that discuss technology and current events. I would encourage journalism to look at these types of podcasts. They are often conversational in nature, where people look at a news event and provide news about the event, and give their own analysis. I would be willing to work with the sports students if they want to use (studio to talk about) sports,” said Scherer.

In the future, the library hopes to add a crafting corner in Lab A where students can relax. These crafts would include knitting, making buttons, and coloring, among others.