TV Show Review: ‘Cobra Kai’

Leila T

The television series Cobra Kai, a comedic and action-packed show, is a must-watch during the pandemic.

Leila Touati, Senior Editor

Cobra Kai is a television series that is the sequel to The Karate Kid, a hit movie that changed a generation’s views on the art of karate. The Karate Kid was released in 1984 about a boy who is taught karate to defend himself against his school bullies. 

The boy, Daniel LaRusso, learned karate from his wise sensei Mr. Miyagi. He faced off against hothead Johnny Lawrence, who is the student of a Vietnam War veteran.

The Karate Kid film franchise racked up die-hard fans during the 1980s and 1990s, and now this sequel series was released on Netflix, with the same actors as from the original film. Ralph Macchio and William Zabka return as the titular LaRusso and Lawrence. In addition to them are some welcomed new faces.

The show aired on Youtube Premium in 2018, with a shortage of a big audience, until Netflix took the rights of the series in 2020.

Cobra Kai currently has two seasons on Netflix with a third season coming in 2021. Each season has 10(30 minute) episodes, making it an easy show to binge-watch over a weekend. 

The series looks into the lives of teenagers as well as grown adults who can’t let go of their high-school days, making the show hilarious and light-hearted, even during the tough and violent scenes.

What is fascinating about the show is the range of relationships between each character. The old enemies LaRusso and Lawrence fight it out both outside and on the mats of the dojo, complicating the lives of those around them. 

Throughout the two seasons, viewers reminisce about the old film through flashbacks and are given a new perspective. The protagonist of The Karate Kid is not always the good guy while the school bully is seen in a new light. 

During each episode, viewers may find themselves rooting for different characters every episode. The show is full of twists and turns, and things can change for the better, and sometimes the worst.

With all the time we’re spending at home, Cobra Kai is a great way to pass the time. But it is suggested to watch The Karate Kid before delving into the series, as there are many references to the original film. 

Cobra Kai is a show to watch with your family, friends, and anyone who wants a good laugh. This series does not disappoint. With exciting battles and entertaining characters, it’s no wonder Cobra Kai is currently the #1 show on Netflix.