Mr. Drescher hops on Twitter train, and is now tweeting school news

Back to Article
Back to Article

The twitter account of AVHS Principal

The twitter account of AVHS Principal

The twitter account of AVHS Principal

The twitter account of AVHS Principal

Mathea Turkalj, Around the Campus Editor

With the increasing popularity of social media sites, principal Tom Drescher and Vice Principal Sebastian Bull have taken to Twitter to connect with the students and parents of Amador Valley.

Drescher and Bull have teamed up to bring news through the Twitter account @Avhsprincipal.

Students and parents are able to view tweets directly sent from the two daily about events and other school news.

“As often as possible we’re trying to share information about what’s happening at school,” said Drescher.

The account has been up since January of last year and was run by Bull and former Amador Valley principal Jim Hansen, but most students had not even known about it.

“I found out about the account when I saw on the Twitter ‘activity’ section that a lot of people followed the account recently but I had no idea that it was up since January,” said senior Nikki Moyers.

Assuring those who do not wish to follow the account due to fears of administration reading their personal tweets, Drescher says that the privacy of student followers is protected, as he and Bull do not follow students back or view their accounts.

“For me it’s a medium for sending out information, not getting information in,” said Drescher. “I have a life too, believe it or not, and I’d rather be spending time with my kids than seeing what students are doing on their Friday nights,” said Drescher.

Bull and Drescher’s latest way of connecting with the Amador community will help students and parents alike keep up with happenings around campus.