Amador Valley brings out Therapy Dogs during finals season

Zachary Nicholas, Staff Writer

During finals week, Amador Valley High School welcomes therapy dogs and their owners onto the Amador campus to provide a needed catharsis for students. 

The dogs are usually found in the grassy area between the freshman tree and the sophomore/junior seating areas. Owners keep their dogs on their leashes, and allow students to pet, snuggle, or receive a sloppy wet kiss from their respective dogs. 

“I believe therapy dogs help people on campus during finals week as it allows them to take their minds off what is currently stressing them out,” said Carson Allen (‘21).

These dogs provide a break from the stressful environment that is test-taking brings upon students during finals week. The interaction between students and therapy dogs effectively reduces stress. According to several scientific studies, being with a dog, specifically, therapy dogs can be extremely therapeutic. 

Playing with or petting an animal increases levels of the stress-reducing hormone, oxytocin. At the same time, the production of the stress hormone cortisol decreases. Petting a dog, or just being around them, has been correlated with a drop in blood pressure.
“It is nice that our school provides its students who want to play with the therapy dogs the opportunity to do so. Playing with pets is also very calming to me as I can forget about any stress that I might have at school,” said Ishaan Alva (‘20).

Apart from physical health, dogs can also provide companionship, which decreases loneliness and encourages friendlier interactions with other people. All of these things reduce stress. Dog owners also have better self-esteem than their counterparts. 

Dogs are also known to be silly and playful and tend to make those around them laugh or smile. Several studies have shown that laughter relieves stress response and reduces tension. The results speak for themselves as Amador students seem to really enjoy the company. 

“I think it helps the kids take their mind off of school. Also, interacting with a dog can bring you joy because happiness is contagious, and dogs are always happy,” said Justin Hunter (’21).

Overall, it sounds like dogs are exactly what students need during these stressful times. With a little help from these furry friends, students can be succinct stressed and more prepared for their finals. That deserves two paws up. Make sure to check Amador’s furry friends out every Friday and the week of finals!