Amador students react to California Senator Kamala Harris exit from the 2020 Presidential race

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mark Lester, Staff Writer

In a shocking recent development, after ten months on the campaign trail, Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA) has officially ended her bid for the Democratic nomination for the presidency. The decision came after months of dropping in statewide and national polls. 

“My campaign for president simply doesn’t have the financial resources we need to continue,” said Harris in an announcement, “So to you, my supporters, it is with deep regret – but also with deep gratitude – that I am suspending my campaign today.” The statement was released via medium.com on December 3. 

Harris was considered a formidable threat for the nomination for months, reaching a high of 15% support according to the RealClearPolitics national average in July, good for second place nationwide behind Vice President Joe Biden (D-DE). Immediately before dropping out, she was averaging a paltry 3.4%. 

However, Harris was still far more popular than many candidates who were still in the field. 

“I was disappointed [on Harris exiting the race]. She was really inspiring to girls like me,”  said Brooklyn Frerich (‘21) .

Harris’ campaign has recently been marred with controversy after Kelly Mehlenbacher, an aide to the campaign, resigned in a letter that sharply criticized the organization’s leadership.

“This is my third presidential campaign and I have never seen an organization treat its staff so poorly” said Mehlenbacher. 

Another concern with Harris’s candidacy was her lack of commitment to certain policies. To many, she seemed to move further from the left towards more centrist stances as the campaign progressed, which led to weak support from both sides of the political spectrum.

“I felt that she could not always commit to some stances. Namely her inability to take a firm stance on Medicare for all unlike her competitors,” said Aoife Stapleton (‘21) “. 

Though Harris is no longer in the running for president, she pledged to “…do everything in my power to defeat Donald Trump and fight for the future of our country and the best of who we are.” 

There has also already been speculation that Harris could join the ticket of whichever candidate wins the Democratic nomination. Frontrunners Joe Biden and Pete Buttigieg have both said that they would consider Harris as a vice president pick. 

Though Harris’s name will not be on the ballot, Amador Valley students who are over 18 and registered to vote, will get an opportunity to make their voices heard in the statewide primary on March 3. 

Students interested in registering to vote can do so here: https://registertovote.ca.gov/.