Are we prepared for disaster?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Are we prepared for disaster?

Madison Vanhole, Staff Writer

The recent fires throughout California have raised safety concerns. Are we, as a community, prepared for a fire if one were to come our way? What can we do to prevent such a tragedy? Since we have never been faced with any massive fires, we wouldn’t expect it.

If a wildfire were to hit Pleasanton, according to Readyforwildfire.org, you should react differently based on where you are located.

If you are located in a car you should stay calm, park clear of vegetation, close windows and vents, and lie on the vehicle floor. While on foot you should stay calm, lie face down, and cover up your body. If you’re in a building you should fill sinks and tubs with cold water and stay inside.

Typically if an evacuation is ordered there is little time to evacuate. Officials determine the areas to be evacuated depending upon the fire’s location, behavior, winds, etc. Potential evacuations area advised as early as possible. It is important to stay informed and aware. Listen to your radio or TV for announcements on the fires status from law enforcement.

“We are definitely not prepared for any natural disaster to hit our home. You see it on the news but you never really think it could happen to you. I do know how to handle a wildfire and am definitely going to start preparing our home for one. I do think it is very important to know how to prepare and handle these situations as you never know when they may present themselves,” said Keith Vanhole, an AV student’s parent.

Most of us are ill-prepared for a wildfire, possibly because disaster preparedness is rarely taught.

“My family is not prepared for a wildfire like the the Chico one or one in general. We have never really talked about it. I think we dont ever expect it to happen but we should really prepare and learn more about them just in case. Everyone should be taught, maybe in schools as a unit, how to prepare,” says Casey Cavros (‘19).

According to Ready.gov There are many ways to prepare for a wildfire. Some of these tactics include, signing up for your community’s warning system, having an evacuation plan, preparing emergency supplies, paying attention to air quality alerts, and using fire-resistant materials to build, renovate, or make repairs.

Generally there is a huge lack of fire preparation among local families, schools, and buildings. Fire preparation should be taught and enforced as a unit among students so we know how to handle these situations if presented.