Red Cross Club Hurricane Coin Drive for Relief

Amador+Valley+Red+Cross+Club+also+participates+in+blood+drives+and+at+centers%2C+and+even+works+to+be+more+educated+in+international+humanitarian+law.+
Amador Valley Red Cross Club also participates in blood drives and at centers, and even works to be more educated in international humanitarian law.

Samara Ayoob-Ahmad, AVT Editor-In-Chief

Clubs on campus have always been a great way to get students involved at school as well as in and outside our close-knit community.

Recently, across the country, Hurricane Florence and Michael have hit the East Coast hard, leaving behind debris and destruction. With this, roads, houses, landscapes, and more have been upturned, greatly affecting the lives of residents living there.

Amador Valley Red Cross, a  club here on campus that strives to make a positive change in the East Bay as well as on a greater global scale, decided to hold a coin drive for those affected by the hurricane.The goal of the drive is too raise as much money as possible that can then be sent directly to relief.

“We first started the drive towards the end of September, which was when Hurricane Florence first struck the Carolinas. Although the hurricane is technically over, the repercussions are not, and the donations would go to rebuilding the communities affected,” said Maham Khawar (‘19), president of Amador Valley Red Cross Club.

Members in the club have been taking decorated jars to classes around campus asking for donations of any amount that would help contribute.

“We don’t have an exact number of the money that we have collected. However, I know we have at least $75-$100, but this number will probably be more,” said Maham.

As an incentive to push action in the the effort, top donation collectors will receive prizes: Starbucks gift cards. The first place winner will receive a $15 dollar gift card, the second a $10 gift card, and finally, the third will receive a five dollar gift card.

“For the past two weeks I’ve been presenting to each of my classes about the damage caused by the disasters. Then, I would go around and collect donations. So far, I’ve collected $40 in donations,” said Anna Sun (‘20).

All donations will be counted this Friday, October 26. Check out the Red Cross Club’s instagram @avhs.redcross if interested in donating to the relief effort or even just learning more about the club.