AV Sophomore’s Award Winning Narrative

Samara Ayoob-Ahmad, Profiles Editor

Here at Amador, their are thousands of talented students whether it’s in academics, sports, or the arts. For Lucy Dou (‘20), her talent goes beyond just one of these.

Lucy is always eager to challenge herself in new topics whether its math, english, science, or the arts. As a sophomore, she has already completed two AP tests, passing both with a score of five. She also likes creating pages and layouts for magazines and newspapers, and is currently an editor in the AV Journalism program.

“I enjoy learning about new things and pushing myself to do my very best in my classes. For Journalism, though not academic, I get to write on interesting topics and put them into a page for the paper, something that I got to do when I lived back in China,” said Lucy Dou (‘20).

She loves music, and enjoys playing the Chinese Zither in her free time. However, her favorite pastime activity is writing. Her love for being able to express so much on a page helped lead her to writing an original narrative called “Becoming Nancy”.  

“Becoming Nancy is a short, fictional story based off of the the different events that I experienced in China. It talks on the high stress environment and high pressure environment in China’s native middle school. It tells of what the student have to do and its effect on their mental health. Seeing my own class go through this at such a young age made me feel sad, so I felt like I should write on it and bring awareness especially since Amador’s students have the same stress and pressure,” said Lucy.

Lucy entered her story in the Bay Area Book Festival, a high school creative writing contest. She ended up coming in third for the Freshman and Sophomore group.

“I was so excited to win the award. It was so exciting, and I was glad to have won something by doing the thing I love,” said Lucy Dou (‘20).

Placing third in the contest, was a huge accomplishment for Lucy. Coming from China, english is not Lucy’s primary language, so placing in an English Writing Competition brought her much excitement, making her as well as her family proud.

“I actually didn’t think I could win third place because English is my second language, so I was just joining the contest for fun. I didn’t know I would actually place!” said Dou (‘20).

Dou will continue to impress us through her high school career and even more so in the future. Her ability to bring awareness through her writing will help her in her successes.

Lucy Dou ’20 enjoys expressing herself through her love of creative writing where she feels she is able to bring awareness to different topics.