Amador Valley March Madness Recap

Mcginty, Jake Benson, Tommy Kramer, and Mitch Benson pose after they win the championship game 16-14

Jerry Garcia

Jerry Garcia

Jerry Garcia, Staff Writer

The championship game of Amador’s annual March Madness tournament consisted of power teams “NC State” and “BBO”. A thrilling regulation play lead the game to overtime, resulting in a victory for NC State. The final score of the game was 16-14.

BBO was a team full of a seniors that included Brian Turner, Mathew Papageorge, KC Thompkins, and Terrence Van Tuyl. NC State’s roster consisted of seniors Tommy Kramer, Drew Mcginty, and Mitch Benson, along with Class of 19’s Jake Benson. Benson and Kramer have played march madness together since middle school and looked to finish their final run with a win.   

“I knew they’d all feed me the ball and if we wanted to win I needed to get most of the shots up,”  said Papageorge (‘18).

Jerry Garcia
Drew Mcginty, Jake Benson, Tommy Kramer, and Mitch Benson pose after they win the championship game 16-14

The senior finished the game with seven points, six of them coming from behind the three point line. Turner connected with Thompkins on a an alley oop late in the game that brought the crowd to their feet. Unfortunately, BBO’s fire power was not enough to defeat the defending champs NC State.

“It was really cool to be able to play in that game because I’m not on the basketball team and I felt like I was playing in a real game with these guys. The crowd was packed and I had a lot of fun,” said Van Tuyl (’18).

“It felt great to win March Madness this year. I feel like there is nobody in the school that can stop us. Being back to back champs in an unbelievable feeling,” said Mitch Benson (‘18).

Benson tallied seven buckets and Kramer added six to combine for 13 points in a game of all ones. Kramer and Benson finished the job to secure their fifth march madness title in seven years. 

Overall, it was a great tournament that had a lot of teams that were contenders. NC State will leave Amador with a total of two March Madness championships under their belt. Who will surpass the legacy they have set?