Giving Back with Holiday Apps

Isabella Fragomeli, Staff Writer

The holiday season is a time when many people feel the desire to come together and help each other. To celebrate Giving Tuesday last week, the app store featured a few apps that make it easy to donate to charity, volunteer your time, purchase one-of-a-kind experiences to support worthy causes, and discover unique ways to serve our community.

The first app featured is called Share The Meal and it’s all about sharing your meal with a child in need. ShareTheMeal is a charity app that allows you to feed a child with one tap on your phone. The World Food Programme finds that there are 20 times as many smartphone users as hungry children, so if everyone gave just a little we can make this world a better place.

The next app featured is called Donate a Photo. This app takes your photos and turns them into a way to do good. For every photo you share through Donate a Photo, Johnson & Johnson will donate $1 to the charity of your choice. You can donate one photo a day, every day to help raise money. With everyone always on their phones taking pictures, why not post them and raise money for charities!

“I think apps like these are great because we can help communities and people will have better lives because of it,” said Phoebe Monette (‘20).

The last app featured is called Charity Miles. This app is all about moving with a purpose and earning money for charity at the same time. Anyone can use charity miles anywhere. Whether you’re on a jog, walking your dog, or just moving throughout the day, you can track your distance and make a difference.

“It’s convenient because you can give back to people who are less fortunate than you by doing simple things you would do anyways likes eating and running,” said Jackson Butler (‘19).

Apps are an accessible and easy way to donate to charity. The creators are making it simple to do things people love like running, taking pictures, and eating food while donating to great causes at the same time!