Students struggle to make up credit deficiencies

Dario Tommasini, Staff Writer

Currently, Amador has fewer programs for credit deficient students than poorer schools. In fact, most of these programs that are offered in the Pleasanton Unified School District are not even offered at Amador.

The state requires 40 credits in english, 35 in history classes, 20 in math, 20 in science, 20 in physical education, 10 in arts, 5 in health, and 80 in electives, for a total of 230 credits to graduate. If a student is deficient in any one of these categories, they are “credit deficient”.

“I picked all my classes carefully in order to avoid having deficiencies in any of the areas,” said Brenna Adams (‘18).

The only way for students to make up classes and remain at Amador is to retake the classes either during the year or take summer school. Retaking a past course during the normal school period may derail them from their graduation requirements for that semester. So if credits are an issue, summer school is really the only option on campus.

Those taking summer school often only have one class during the summer, so they only go to school for a couple hours a day. The material is condensed into a six week period of intensive study where Dons, who are academically at risk, can remediate poor grades from the previous year.

“Summer school allowed me to put all my focus on one subject. I got an easy A and I was able to make up the credits I needed,” said Dylan Biasatti (‘18).

While some people retake classes through community college, Amador Valley counselor Sheryl Pacheco reminds students that to replace a D or F, the course must be retaken at the same location.

“For CSUs, it has to be the same course with the same title so they would have to retake it through our summer school,” said Sheryl Pacheco, a counselor at Amador.

In other cases, credit deficient sophomores, juniors, and seniors at Amador are often transferred to Village High School to recover classes. As a California Continuation Model High School, it is also designated for students who have been expelled from Amador Valley for disciplinary action.

Despite the preconceived notions that many dons have about Village, it has helped many students learn basic curriculum and earn their high school diploma.

While there are few programs designated for credit deficient students here at Amador, dons who are at risk of not graduating, or simply need to recover some credits, should consider summer school and Village High School as a potential solution.

Amador’s campus is less crowded during the summer because fewer students attend summer school.