2017 Music Recap

Jasmine Ramirez ('19) looks up her Spotify 2017 Wrapped to find out her yearly statistic!

Jazmine Ramanathan, Staff Writer

As the year comes to a close we see all our favorite artists coming out with their last albums of the year to make a mark on 2017.

For the rap genre, Drake came out with More Life which took off and was a huge hit! Tyler the Creator came out with a new album as well, he is on tour right now for, Flower Boy. Big Sean came out with I Decided.as well as Double or Nothing (& Metro Boomin) which featured many of our favorite rappers of the year such as Young Thug and 21 Savage.

This year in pop music Ed Sheeran came out with his hit song Perfect, which later got remixed with Beyonce which led to even more popularity. Selena Gomez released her song Fetish which gained popularity due to her new take on music which gives her a new type of dynamic that hasn’t been seen by her fans.

“ I love using spotify! I personally love the “2017 Wrapped” section where it allows you to make a playlist of all the songs you listened to the most over the whole year! My most listened music this year was Lana Del Rey’s new album Lust for Life” Anusha Saha (‘20)

Country music, although not as popular among millennials, is an ever growing stable genre of music. Little Town came out with many new songs this year that kept the true heart of country, but as all country music begins to fuse with a slight taste of pop it adds a refreshing twist. Luke Bryan released Light it up which is a fun party song, as the title suggests. This is definitely one to play at a late night bonfire! Our favorite female singer, Faith Hill came out with The Rest of Our Lives, which made her fans a little teary eyed as she always does. Her soft, remarkable voice always gets her message across and keeps her fans and people who are just starting to listen to country music, excited for her new content.

Alternative music definitely is music for the hippies! It is loved among young millennials and sometimes is hard to define, which many would agree is what makes it just that good. This year, Portugal. The Man released Feel it Still being one of their more popular songs. Foo Fighters topped charts with The Sky is a Neighborhood which kept their chill, calm and grooving music which always leaves their fans in a trance. Lana Del Rey released her album Lust for LIfe which she had teased her fans with all summer while releasing three singles prior which made the wait worth it when she finally released the whole album later in July.

Overall, 2017 has been an amazing year for all genres of music and will be one for the books. New artists emerged, and are continuing to create content and better their craft for the listers who made them who they are today. Happy new year of music… here we come 2018!

If you’re a Spotify user, check out your 2017 statistics at https://open.spotify.com/view/2017-page