John Green Visits Pleasanton

Emma Hodges, Staff Writer

John Green, bestselling author of Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns, The Fault in Our Stars and more, pays a visit to our very own Pleasanton, CA.

Green’s new book, Turtles All the Way Down, tells the story of a teenage girl named Aza Homes who suffers from severe anxiety. In real life, John Green suffers from a similar condition and describes his character with reality and empathy.

“John Green is my favorite author as I read the Fault in Our Stars when it first came out and ever since then I’ve read almost all of his books” said Allie Simon (‘19)

Pleasanton’s Towne Center Books hosted Green and his internet famous brother Hank Green on November 1, 2017 at the Alameda County Fairgrounds. The pair shared a little bit about John’s new book while still having lots of fun with the audience.

The brothers answered audience questions, performed live music and Hank Green presented one of his famous science lectures.

“[The show] was nothing like I expected. Hank Green came out in a turtle suit and that was really funny and he also gave a science presentation which was really interesting” said Avery Schurhoff (‘20).

Many fans were very shocked that the brothers were visiting Pleasanton, and the tour location was very convenient for many and saved a lot of time.

John Green’s presentation also showed how small our world is and how everything is relative. People are often inspired by authors like Green who take the time to engage with their audience and share their backstory.

“I really enjoyed how John mentioned a friend who had graduated high school in Pleasanton” said AV librarian Erik Scherer.

John Green and his brother Hank have clearly inspired a lot of people and has created an impact on many with his powerful words and motives