Starbucks’ 2017 Holiday Cup

Soumya Sahay, Staff Writer

Starbucks has always been known for their specialty holiday drinks, but now, people are more attracted to what the drinks are held in. Every year since 1997, Starbucks creates a new holiday cup, and this year, they came back strong.

The 2017 cup not only has a beautiful design printed on it, but it also displays a powerful message: Give Good. The cup is decorated with images of hands holding hands, presents, and hearts, creating the image of generosity for their customers.

This years cup was printed with red and green holiday colors, and was created by Jordan Kay from Starbucks Creative Studio.

“I liked the idea of hands as the centering point, a symbol of connection, love and giving joy,” said Jordan Kay. “Whether it’s wrapping presents or decorating a tree, writing cards or enjoying a mug of cocoa.”

People may be more interested in the cup, but the drinks that come with the holiday season are a gift on their own. This season, Starbucks has returned with their traditional Peppermint Mocha, and has also introduced two new seasonal drinks, including the Toasted White Chocolate Mocha, and the Chestnut Praline Chai Tea Latte.

“I think Starbucks deserves the customers that it gets, because their drinks are delicious,” said Kurt Mirador (‘20).

In the past, the annual holiday Starbucks cup was called out for directing its message around the holiday of Christmas, a religious holiday. People argued they didn’t feel like the cup represented everybody equally, and that it showed religious favoritism.  

Many felt that the controversy was overblown, and that a cup for coffee should not have the power to inspire such strong emotions in people.

“I think that the controversies over the cup were…a little stupid. I don’t think the Starbucks owners, or designers, were trying to be discriminating against any religion, so I think people were just reading too much into it,” said Trisha Khattar (‘21).

This year, it seems as though Starbucks has taken an alternate route on how to advertise their cup, labeling it with the theme of “Give Good.” This theme does not appear to display any serious religious connotations, and will hopefully inspire positivity and kindness this holiday season.

The Starbucks holiday cup will be available to the public for the rest of the holiday season. It was introduced this season on November first, and will be available until early January, so get your holiday drinks while you can!