Refugees enter Turkey in search of new home.

Should Countries Receive Refugees?

November 15, 2017

The many refugee crises in the world have incited public furor and controversy. While their story is a brutal one, many debate over whether the countries should continue to receive refugees.

Yes

It is our moral obligation to help these people who are suffering from the many hardships they have to go through.

According to the UN Refugee Agency 65.6 million people are forcibly displaced worldwide and 22.5of those people are refugees. This means if we stop receiving refugees, these people will be forced back into their war-torn home.

Refugees can also become a benefit to society. Almost six million jobs are unfilled in the US (Advisor Perspectives). Refugees could take advantage of this and create a new life for themselves while contributing to society.

Many refugees are also well-educated individuals who have many useful skills they wish to contribute to their new home. However, their chances of doing so are being prevented by living in refugee camps. Many of these camps have horrible conditions.

For example, the Kakuma Refugee camp in Kenya is home to 184,550 people. Malnutrition is rampant and overcrowding has led to the spread of many diseases. Resources are overtaxed and the occupants have small opportunities to further their education. Not only are these refugees living poorly, they also take up a lot of the government’s money and are unable to contribute to society.

If we can help these refugees become assimilated into society, we not only fulfill our moral obligation, but also allow the refugees to earn themselves a new life while contributing to society.