Chelsea Manning in an ABC interview.

Chelsea Manning in an ABC interview.

Chelsea Manning in an ABC interview.

Chelsea Manning – Friend or Foe to the US?

November 13, 2017

On May 17, 2017, Chelsea Manning was released from prison after a 35-year sentence for releasing nearly 750,000 classified information on the war in Iraq to Wikileaks, the biggest leak in American history. Her case represents the controversy on how much government transparency our democratic country should have. Some consider her a hero and others believe she is a traitor that put lives in danger.

Friend

We, as American citizens, hold considerable power that can influence government. Because of this, it is important for us to be informed about what is going on around us.

This is why Chelsea Manning is a hero. She leaked material that revealed horrifying details about the war in Iraq. By doing so, she allowed the American people to be more aware and knowledgeable about the truth in Iraq, and thus allowed us to be able to make informed decisions.

She leaked a video, which she called “Collateral Murder,” of American soldiers killing a dozen unarmed Iraqi civilians. After seeing countless similar atrocities, Manning felt that she had to inform the public about this in order to spark a worldwide discussion regarding these injustices.

She said in a private chat, “I want people to see the truth…because without information, you cannot make informed decisions as a public”.  

Chelsea Manning is a hero. She was willing to face serious consequences if it means that the American people would get a chance to see for themselves what the country is doing in foreign areas. It is important that citizens know what the government is doing, especially if it deals with the lives of the American people.