49ers trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

New 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo with the Patriots

Mark Liu, Editor-in-chief

This Monday, Patriots quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo was traded to the San Francisco 49ers for a second round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. The trade was completed just twenty-four hours before the 2017 NFL trade deadline.

The trade came as a shock to many as Garoppolo was widely seen as current Patriot quarterback Tom Brady’s heir apparent, so much so that it had been thought that the Patriots would refuse to even consider trading Garoppolo away.

“I was surprised the Niners were willing to take the risk on Garoppolo given the position they are in currently. It’ll be hard for him to succeed immediately with the pieces around him right now but I think he has a chance to become the quarterback for the Niners for the next five to ten years,” said Ishaan Sharma (‘18) who is a 49ers fan.

Garoppolo was selected in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft. Brady, who turned forty this year, shows no signs of slowing down in the eighteenth season of a hall of fame career.

“I think that Garoppolo has potential to be a great quarterback, but given the Patriots situation, it was a necessary trade. Tom Brady is still playing very well, and he could potentially play for several more years. I would have liked to see them trade Garoppolo earlier when he had more value, but in the end it was an ok deal. The 49ers got a great deal and the Patriots got some value back,” said Kenny Peng (‘18) who is a Patriots fan.

Last year, when Brady was suspended for allegedly deflating footballs in the 2015 AFC championship game, Garoppolo stepped in as the Patriot’s starter and played admirably in two games before exiting with a shoulder injury.  

San Francisco’s only NFL team has been in a constant state of turmoil since Jim Harbaugh, their only successful coach in the last two decades, and the 49ers parted ways in 2014. The team hopes that Garoppolo can settle in as their franchise quarterback.

With the departure of five year starter Colin Kaepernick this offseason, the 49ers signed veteran Brian Hoyer to be their starter and drafted C.J. Beathard from the University of Iowa to back up Hoyer. After six games of mediocre play, Hoyer was benched in favor of Beathard, who has not played very well in his two starts.   

The new 49ers quarterback figures to sit on the bench and learn the playbook while his team looks to restock on wide receivers and offensive linemen.

While many analysts project that Garoppolo will eventually succeed with the 49ers, it should be noted that former Patriots quarterbacks have not fared well outside the confines of New England. None of Brady’s backup quarterbacks have gone on to achieve consistent long term success.

Given how well Garoppolo has played with the opportunities he has been given, it appears that Jimmy Garoppolo has the potential to succeed despite what history might say. However, it remains to be seen whether Garoppolo will realize that potential.