High schoolers aging out of trick or treating

The young and old alike have always enjoyed going from house to house to trick or treat. However, some parents believe that age is a factor in trick or treating.

Apurva Kannu, Junior Sports Editor

There is an ongoing discussion over whether high school students should continue to trick-or-treat. Many say that they have the right because they are technically still in school. However, the other side is that teens are too old, and can be a possible danger to younger kids.

Typically, high schoolers stop after eighth grade. Is it due to loss of interest, or because everyone implies that high schoolers shouldn’t trick-or-treat?

“Teens should not go trick-or-treating. Teens get more bored with trick or treating and there are much better and more fun things to do” said Sarah Yoon (‘20).

“Dressing up and asking for candy is kinda childish nowsaid Nanette Lui (‘19).

“I only go trick-or-treating now because I have a little sister who is two years old, and I go with her” said Harshika Sethi (‘20).

So, what do high schoolers do on halloween? A popular tradition are haunted houses. Most teens attend the annual Pirates of Emerson while others visit Great America for the famous Halloween Haunt. Both parks consist of multiple scary houses with different themes.

“I’ve been to both and it’s really worth it. A lot people from school go and then most people go home after and just hang out or watch scary movies. Halloween Haunt was really scary, but I enjoyed and will definitely go again” said Krishna Prakash (‘20).

When a high schooler goes around door-to-door in a costume and is completely unrecognizable, the safety is called into question. An average high schooler can pass as an adult. Parents opening the door to high schoolers will never know if it truly is a teen or someone with dangerous intentions. Many adults also despise teens who show up with a pillow case and no spirit just wanting free candy.

“I can see why a high schooler in a costume or no costume at all can be dangerous, but if they are at least trying and are polite to adults and young children, then I don’t see what’s the problem” said Aditya Bhaskar (‘20).

When the famous holiday does comes into season, the reality is that young kids just want candy, and high schoolers want thrill.