PewDiePie Uproar and Copyright Strike Ensue

Ben Guthrie, Staff Writer

Internet star Felix Kjellberg, known to Youtube as Pewdiepie, was doing a livestream of him playing a videogame called PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds on Sunday, September 10th. In an act of anger, he casually used a racial slur as an insult to the other person frustrating him.

This livestream caused a lot of uproar and controversy for the youtuber, but this isn’t the first time he has been in heat. It was only seven months prior when he made a video of him paying people five dollars to say Nazi jokes. This video ended with Disney cutting ties with Felix and Youtube cancelling his premium advertising program and his Youtube Red show Scare Pewdiepie.

Because of the last controversy, many believe that this new controversy should be the end for Kjellberg’s career. He issued an apology video for what he said, but not everyone is buying it.

The biggest surprise to come out of this controversy was from Campo Santo’s co-founder Sean Vanaman, who filed a copyright strike against Felix for any videos he made with Campo Santo’s game Firewatch.

Copyright strikes on Youtube videos have had a long history that nobody really likes. When it comes to the legality of the copyright strike, videos of gameplay can be copyrighted. On the other hand, most video game companies don’t file strikes because the videos made by the youtubers are seen as a form of advertisement for the game.

”We love that people stream and share their experiences in the game. You are free to monetize your videos as well” Firewatch states in the FAQ section on their website.

For these reasons, many have turned against Campo Santo. The biggest way people are protesting is by leaving a lot of bad reviews on the game.

Despite all of the backlash and Felix taking down the Firewatch videos, Youtube accepted the copyright strike from Campo Santo. Despite anger for the strike, Kjellberg decided to not act upon it and move on.

As it stands, this incident hasn’t affected his subscriber count and his account is still showing normal subscriber patterns. Despite that, some people are still leaving the channel.

The controversy has come and gone, with both parties moving on from the situation. As for the future of Youtube and DMCA claims, only time will tell.