California Fights Fire

People are struggling across the board to stifle the effects of the fire creeping closer to their homes.

Jared Caldwell, Staff Writer

Another natural disaster has struck the United States. At around 12 o’clock on October 8th, a fire began to spread rapidly across the Napa/Sonoma area.

As of October 10th, more than 14 fires have have destroyed at least 1,500 structures, covering a collective 57,000 acres across California. A number of these fires have been reported to be around 20% contained as of a full day after the start of the multiple fires.

Amongst these fires, there has been a confirmed eleven deaths over the span of the first two days and over 25,000 people have been evacuated from their homes.

“When I was evacuating it was almost as if the sky was on fire, the sun hadn’t risen, but there was red in the sky. Our school wasn’t under mandatory evacuation, but everyone evacuated anyways at Sonoma State” said Sophie Galley, an Amador Graduate at Sonoma State.

These fires cover at least six different Northern California counties. Yuba, Mendocino, Nevada, Sonoma, and Butte.

California Governor Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency for three of those listed counties.

While some homes have been left without being touched, another problem arising comes from those who are taking advantage of the panic to loot the homes they see abandoned on the television.

Even though Northern California is being hit hard from this, countless residents and residents have claimed that the area has a powerful community who will definitely come back from this disaster whatever it takes.

“We are a resilient county; we will come back from this,” said Sonoma County Supervisor Shirlee Zane. “But right now we need to grieve.”

At Amador Valley, there was a large amount of smoke in the air due to the smoke that has traveled around the bay area, and many woke up on Monday morning to the stark smell of smoke.

Even down to Southern California people are seeing the effects of the fire, and the massive burning has made national news, covered even by CNN.

A huge thanks to our wonderful firefighters from across the state and the communities that have risen up to aid in stopping the flames and protected the homes and wildlife that remain. We hope for a speedy end to the disasters hitting our close neighbors to the North.