The Price of Perfection

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Price of Perfection

Amador's cheerleaders work hard, but their coaches never push them past what their bodies can naturally handle

Thomas Hsu, Staff Writer

Today, many student athletes feel pressured by their coaches to become the best, so they can win scholarships and feature it on their college apps. Except sometimes that same pressure can be harmful and backward.

Recently a controversial video was released to major news stations, including the New York Times. It portrays a 13-year-old girl being physically forced into a split. On multiple occasions, she’s heard screaming “please stop” to the coach, who pushed her further into the stretch.

The coach, Ozell Williams, has been fired along with a few other administrators and the Denver Police Department is looking into the situation.

Mr. Williams is a perfect example of how a coach can push his/her player past their threshold.

“I’d be pissed. I would one, never want my daughter to be touched like that, and two, to be in agony and crying out for help and have people just pushing it further” said Mr. Yovino, a history teacher, and father of two.

No parent would want their child to be treated in such a way, to a point that their child is screaming in pain.

“[There is nothing similar] at Amador, but I cheered for California All-Stars… once I was concussed and I had to keep going…my body is definitely not as good as it should be now, I have back and wrist problems” said Francesca Tragni (‘18).

“Nowadays, if there is any thought that you might have a concussion, those players would be removed from any threat of harm… that’s the number one focus of the coaches here at Amador” said Computer Science teachers Mr. Hanson.

It’s reassuring to know that the coaches at Amador know the limits of their players and put their safety above anything else.