SENIORS: What you should be doing

Eve Schiano ('18) checks out resources for fee waivers on her laptop.

Cathrine Lilja, Editor-in-Chief

Seniors have already begun to feel the looming stress of the future coming up behind them. For those who have not begun to think about applying to colleges, now would be the time to begin work.

A priority, coming back into school, is asking about recommendation letters. Amador teachers are some of the best, and many are booked for months with students to write recommendations about, so make sure to ask as soon as possible.

“I asked some of my teachers before junior year even ended because it really depends on the teacher. Some need to schedule appointments, and some just need an info sheet, you just have to ask” said Jesse Reid (‘18).

If not already taken, the SAT, ACT and Subject Tests in the coming few months must be signed up for now, or scores will not come before applications are due. Hopefully, most seniors took their tests last year, so now would only be the time if retakes are required.

Check online to ensure your scores are at the same level as the colleges of your choices would like. There is no shame in retaking tests and doing better the second time.

“I plan to take my tests well in advance, I already purchased my study books, but I know that things can always go wrong, so I’ll be prepared” said Wendy Su (‘17).

In addition, college essay prompts have been released, whether private or public schools are on your radar. For nearly all private schools, September is a good time to prepare your account on common app to ensure applications, and essays, are made with enough time to properly edit.

For those students seeking scholarships and financial aid, there are already many opportunities available. FAFSA will be open on October 1st to find eligibility for aid, and the College Center has some scholarships already, but keep checking in on Naviance, because new opportunities are always added.

“Now would be a good time for seniors to start to look on Naviance to start researching different scholarships that are available, and to find out when the deadline is so they can request letters of recommendation for them a few weeks in advance” said Sheryl Pacheco, a school counselor.

Make sure to see a counselor as soon as possible to keep track of special requirements for the colleges of your choice, applications will be due sooner than you think!

1 Comment

One Response to “SENIORS: What you should be doing”

1. Mrs. Tara Walker on September 1st, 2017 10:57 am

Hi Cathrine!

Just an quick edit to your post! The FAFSA doesn’t open until OCTOBER 1, so it’s not currently “open to submit aid requests”. Also the FAFSA is not a form in which you submit “aid requests”. It’s a form to determine a student’s eligibility for student financial aid. Not sure if it’s too late to change the article. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hope this helps!

[Reply]

*

• SENIORS: What you should be doing

Features

A New Way to Shoot

• SENIORS: What you should be doing

Features

A Year to Look Forward to: Class of 2018

• Features

Seniors: Where are they headed?

• Features

Interfaith Club Spotlight

• SENIORS: What you should be doing

Features

AV Filmmaker makes documentary on refugees

• Features

AV Profiles: Nicole Zhang

• SENIORS: What you should be doing

Features

AV Reacts to National Security Advisor Michael Flynn Resignation

• Features

Double the Talent

• Features

From Paraguay with Love

• SENIORS: What you should be doing

Features

“Namaste” to mindfulness at Amador

SENIORS: What you should be doing