Mayweather vs. Mcgregor: Amador Students Weigh In

Jerry Garcia and Zach Kolia

On Saturday August 26, the two best fighters in the world faced off at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas in what was dubbed as the “Money Fight” and “The Biggest Fight in Combat Sports History”.

Forty year old world boxing champion Floyd Mayweather made the decision to put his legacy on the line and come out of retirement to take on twenty-nine year old MMA and UFC world champion Conor Mcgregor.

We went around Amador to find out where students watched the fight Saturday and get their reactions from the fight.

“I was at my cousin’s house in El Dorado Hills watching with my whole family. I think this fight got a lot of attention because arguably the best boxer of all time who’s never lost squared up against the best UFC fighter right now,” said Tommy Kramer (‘18).

“I knew Mayweather was going to win. There was no way Mcgregor was quick and experienced enough to fight Floyd,” said Kramer.

Mcgregor started off the first three rounds incredibly strong, but eventually tired out. From the fourth round onward, the undefeated boxer took over and switched from defense to offense, dizzying Mcgregor.

By the ninth round, it was clear, Mcgregor was on his last legs. Then, less than a minute into the tenth, Mayweather pummeled Mcgregor with a series of alternating hooks sending Mcgregor sprawling to the ropes where referee Robert Byrd halted the fight, giving Mayweather the victory by way of Technical Knockout.  

“I was at a friends house with a lot of people. I didn’t pay any money…This fight got so much attention because Mayweather has never lost. He is the real deal with a record of fifty wins and zero losses,” said Jake Benson (‘19).

Both fighters got their share as Mayweather received at least $100 million, while Mcgregor received at least $30 million. Each fighter is also set to receive substantial Pay Per View bonuses and other undisclosed payouts. Mayweather himself, received the winner’s belt, a crocodile leather strap studded with more than three thousand diamonds and over three pounds of pure twenty-four karat gold. It’s valued in the millions.  

Mayweather and Mcgregor got the attention of their fans the month leading up to the bout during their four-city, three country promotional press tour. Each fighter had time to make personal speeches to the fans and address one another; tempers were flying the whole time exciting the fans.

“The world tour was crazy, it made me anxious to watch the fight. Mcgregor really believed he was going to win, but there was no way that Mayweather was going to lose” said Trevor Bergmann (‘18).

While reviews on the fight have varied, it can’t be argued that the fight definitely lived up to the hype as the, “Biggest Fight in Combat Sports History”.