Sean Spicer’s Apologies Are Not Enough

Claire Helmer, Sports Editor

Sean Spicer has made many blunders while working as the White House Press Secretary that have forced him into a downhill spiral filled with apologies.

“I don’t know what he’s being told what to say. Remember he reports to the president. One, He could be just not prepared when he goes out there, two he could be told what to say when he goes out there or three, they purposefully keep things from him, and then he just has to be the defender of the president because he works for the president,” said AP US Government and Politics teacher Brian Ladd.

The day after President Trump’s inauguration, Spicer held a press conference criticizing the media for false reporting and inaccurately stating the size of Trump’s inaugural crowd, then didn’t take questions from the press afterwards.

“His attacks on [the] press and practice of singling out individual journalists whose views don’t align with the administration’s [are] not only unprofessional, but undemocratic and Un-American,” said Mackenzie Hawkins (‘18).

On April 11th, Spicer compared Assad to Hitler, saying, “You had someone as despicable as Hitler who didn’t even sink to using chemical weapons.”

“As someone who has Holocaust survivors in my family, I found his comments and ignorance deeply offensive and demeaning,” said Hawkins (‘18).

The comment was received with much criticism, because Hitler, in fact, did use chemical weapons on his victims.

“I don’t think his comments were malicious, but they reflected an overall lack of compassion, understanding, and awareness of world issues—both historical and modern. It’s frustrating because when you are the mouthpiece of a nation as powerful as ours, it is your job and civic responsibility to watch your words. Sean Spicer clearly doesn’t,” said Hawkins (‘18).

“When people we people we look to for news about our government make these kind of comments, it is hard for the public to find them, or the administration they represent, reliable or trustworthy,” said Loren Curry (‘17).

When politicians and public figures compare things to the Holocaust, they do it to incite certain emotions out of their audience, instead of actually drawing a factual comparison.

“Bringing it up, he wanted to equate Syria with Hitler, and when you say Hitler, everyone thinks of the worst evil that’s ever existed, so he clearly was trying to achieve that, but in doing such a poor job in talking about the specifics of it, it came across as unthoughtful and it hurt his argument,” said English teacher Darren Pagtakhan.

Spicer’s comments were intended to make the American people think the administration was justified in bombing Syria, however he did not succeed because most people saw through his flimsy argument.

A few days later, Spicer issued an apology stating, “I mistakenly made an inappropriate and insensitive reference to the Holocaust, for which there is no comparison… And for that I apologize. It was a mistake to do that.”

“An apology is basically a statement of someone who has reflected on a mistake. But his apology clearly had no evidence of reflection, so it was almost doubling down on the mistake when trying to rectify it,” said Pagtakhan.