The hefty cost of Senior Ditch Day

Esha Chawla, Staff Writers

Similar to how Ferris Bueller in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off  fakes an illness to get out of school, hundreds of seniors every year call in sick the day after Senior Ball in what has become famously known as “Senior Ditch Day.”

On Senior Ditch Day, seniors hope to make some final memories with their friends before parting ways and going to separate colleges. However, what seniors don’t know is that their “little fun” costs the schools thousands of dollars.

“Having your parents call you in as ill is being dishonest and does not help out Amador or our school district. If you are not in your seat school, PUSD receives no daily funding for you. The state reimburses our District approximately $56 per student, per day” said Mrs. Tomlin, the Child Welfare and Attendance Liaison for PUSD.

Thus, if the entire senior class, which constitutes about 25% of the student body, is all gone one day, the school loses $20,000.

“We could purchase two chrome carts [with the money that we lose on Senior Ditch Day],” said Mr. Williams.

In order to prevent students from skipping school that day, the administration encourages teachers to place tests and project due dates on this day.

“We are developing a message to inform parents and students of how [Senior Ditch Day] impacts the school, but some parents will call their students out sick… We lose funds for that… If a student does not attend four periods a day, they are not able to participate in the playoffs from spring sports, extracurriculars, [and] music programs,” said Mr. Williams.  

From all of this, the controversy arises whether administration should allow Senior Ditch Day to take place or not. As many seniors argue, Senior Ditch Day is a tradition, and for the sake of tradition, it should be allowed to stay.

“I understand that some students may be experiencing senioritis as your high school career comes to a close and the idea of sleeping in or hanging out with your friends for the day may sound appealing… Being out of school for an unexcused event counts towards truancy- even on senior cut day” said Mrs. Tomlin.

What do you think about Senior Ditch Day? Should it be allowed to stay? Or should administration take action to put an end to it? Go online to our AV Journalism page and vote!