James Comey Latest in Series of Suspicious Firings

Former FBI Director James Comey

Former FBI Director James Comey

Former FBI Director James Comey

Mark Liu, Politics Editor

On May 9th, FBI Director Comey was terminated from his position by President Donald Trump. The firing is suspicious for a number of reasons, most concerning, its timing. Comey was investigating Trump for Russian collusion at the time of his dismissal.

There has been a considerable amount of bipartisan outrage over the firing. Considering the timing of the firing, numerous political scholars and media outlets have mentioned a possible impeachment over Trump’s apparent obstruction of justice. Some have even compared Trump’s actions to Richard Nixon’s termination of Archibald Cox who was investigating that embattled president over the Watergate break in.

“The president was within his right to fire the Director of the FBI, that being said, the timing and execution were poor.  Three different explanations spilled out over the course of the week. The optics of the President firing the director of the FBI, while complaining about the FBI’s ongoing investigation is less than ideal. The removal of people at the Justice Dept and FBI sets a dangerous precedent,” said Mr. Murphy who teaches AP World History.

“It looks suspicious when President Trump tweeted later he hinted that it had to do with the Russian investigation and that the president may have recorded conversations with Comey. The president has the power to fire him but not for investigating the president, that is an overstep of power and colluding, if the president is trying to cover up his connection with Russia interfering with the election and/or his Attorney General Sessions working to do so after he has recused himself from said investigation,” said Mrs. Wohlgemuth who teaches AP U.S. History.

Nevertheless, others have supported Trump’s decision to fire Comey, the reasons ranging from the director’s apparent incompetence to his apparent lackadaisical pursuance of Hillary Clinton email charges. Some of Trump’s most ardent supporters have even berated critics of the firing for apparent hypocrisy as those critics had wanted Comey fired for apparently influencing the election himself.      

Comey’s departure is the latest in a series of terminations under Trump’s administration that have been regarded as unusual. The former FBI director joins Interim Attorney General Sally Yates, who opposed Trump’s immigration executive orders, and U.S. Attorney of New York’s South District Preet Bharara, an aggressive corruption prosecutor and distinguished public servant on the list of of highly publicized exits.

The ousted director and president reportedly had a dinner a week after inauguration. What went down during the meeting has come under intense scrutiny. According to sources with knowledge of the situation, Trump asked Comey to pledge him his loyalty. The 45th president has vigorously denied the charges claiming instead that Comey had arranged the meeting to keep his own job.

No matter the political party, it should be particularly concerning to everyone that Comey was fired at the time he was. President Trump very likely overreached his political powers thus violating the constitution. There needs to be a special independent investigator appointed to pursue this matter as soon as possible.