AV DECA DONminates at ICDC

Mark Liu, Politics Editor

From April 24-27, Amador Valley DECA competed at the International Career Development Conference in Anaheim. With nearly 20,000 competitors, it is the largest pre-college business competition event in the world. AV DECA DONminated the competition with 21 of 26 competitors making it to finals (top 20), 10 competitors placing (top 10), one second place finish, and one world champion!

“I was really shocked about my DECA  performance if I’m being honest. I mean just having the opportunity to go to ICDC blew my mind back in March on the SCDC stage, and when my team and I were called to the stage as finalists I couldn’t be more shocked and thankful to everyone who had helped me get there,” said Maham Khawar (‘19).    

Besides competing, ICDC attendees enjoyed the surrounding attractions in Orange County as well as the Grand Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Amador DECA spent a half day each at Disneyland and Universal Studios. The opening ceremony featured acts from the Voice runner-up Billy Gilman, Cool Kids hitmaker Echosmith, and the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising.

“Amusement parks are my favorite places in the world, so I had the time of my life at Disney and Universal! I love the people I was surrounded by and I love the environment of amusement parks because the happiness there is so contagious,” said Kristy Zhang (‘17).

“Disney and Universal were like the cherry on top of the whole week, and it just really made ICDC that much more memorable. Harry Potter world is absolutely insane and definitely a highlight,” said Samantha Lu (‘17).

“Seeing Echosmith perform live was amazing, just because I’ve been listening to them for a while and it was just crazy being able to see them in person,” said Khawar.

It has been an absolutely incredible year for AV DECA, from DONminating the competition to making memories of a lifetime. While it is sad to watch the departing seniors head off to college as the year closes, AV DECA will be in good hands for future seasons.