Students’ social media addiction

Sanika Samel, Staff Writers

After a long and stressful day at school, we’re all tempted to get back home and spend the rest of the day on our phone or on TV, catching up on new episodes or reading the latest gossip. Social media plays a big role in our lives, and many of us find ourselves addicted to it, whether users realize it or not.

According to the CBS show “60 Minutes”, there are many reasons why people constantly find themselves pulled into the online world . What makes smartphones so appealing are the chances to gain followers, like pictures, and constantly update the world on what’s going on in our lives. We always want to remain connected, and we’re always on the lookout for more. More likes, more followers, more friends. Social media is a great way to capture people’s attention from around the world.

Another example of this that many of us can relate to would be on Snapchat. Ever since Snapchat started the concept of “streaks”, many of us are constantly on the app, determined not to lose streaks. Students here at Amador find this frustrating, especially since PUSD has blocked Snapchat on school wifi.

“I used to go on Snapchat during lunch and class sometimes. However, without wifi, I usually now hold back. It’s saved me a lot of battery.” said Varsha Vaidyanath (‘18).

However, many students still continue to use the app, and just use their data. The concept of streaks is to make sure you are always on and connected with that friend, and many people love to show off their one, two, or three hundred day streak.

“My highest streak is 348, and I don’t plan on losing it anytime soon,” said Ann Philip (‘18).
With social media constantly finding new ways to draw people online, this addiction seems to be present upon many people of all ages, especially teenagers.