Going beyond senior service hours

Cole Torquemada and Emily Twisselmann, Staff Writers

For the past few school years, graduating Amador seniors have been required to complete 20 hours of community service. Many seem to agree that there’s a good reason for this requirement, too. In general, the benefits of required service hours outweigh the drawbacks.    

“The purpose of the senior service hours requirement is to encourage our students to be engaged in doing positive things for our community; so giving back and getting into the habit of giving back to the community. Our board implemented this requirement some years back and the thought is that the students doing this work will form a lifelong habit probably about a third of our senior class does more than the minimum requirement of 20 hours,” said Mrs. Grewal, Amador’s VP.

Students that go beyond the minimum requirement gain skills and experience in fields they’re interested in.

“At the beginning of this year I started working at the Valley Humane Society and I really liked it there. I got my hours done before the second semester. It was a good first step because, in college, I will be majoring in animal science. It was nice to be able to work one on one with animals,” said Sammy Lai (‘17).

Amador students seem to enjoy volunteering at convenient, local organisations such as Outdoor ed, the Valley Humane Society, Boy Scouts of America, and Open Heart Kitchen. Volunteering time at schools events like the PPIE run is also a very popular way to complete the senior service hours requirement.  

“I think [senior service hours] are really important because they kind of just open your eyes to different things, especially living in Pleasanton. I think a lot of people think we’re in this perfect city… but our community still needs a lot of help. There’s lots of things people should know about. It’s important to see your community and help out,” said Shayne Estill (‘17).

The idea behind the requirement is simple: doing volunteer work helps AV students build character. The ultimate goal is to build positive, beneficial, life-long habits of giving back to the community.