Amador Valley Dance Team performs at Varsity Basketball game halftime

Jackie Pecavar

The six Amador Dancers show off their talent by performing at halftime during the Varsity Basketball game.

Jackie Pecavar, Staff Writer

On Friday, Jan. 13, JV and Varsity basketball played their opening night games against De La Salle. During the halftime break, the Amador Valley Dance Team showed off their first routine of the year. The group entertained the routine they had only practiced for two days.  

“We have prepared for this dance for two days. It was last minute but we are working with what we have,” said second year Dance Team member Jacklynn Barragan (‘25).

During winter break, the team was “supposed to choreograph [for the new semester] and hold practices,” said one of the members. However, due to various reasons, the practices did not happen. This did not stop the dancers from showing their spirit on the floor.

“I’m very proud of our team for learning choreography so quickly and being able to pull it off,” said Fiona Zheng (‘24).   

Captains of the Dance Team were able to create dances to trending songs to perform at halftimes and rallies for the Amador basketball team. Even though the captains only had two days to choreograph the entire song, they were able to make it work through their determination.

“I was pretty nervous [prior to the performance] because we only have six out of twenty five dancers performing and we still need to work on the routine,” said Barragan. 

When the buzzer went off marking half time of the basketball game, it was showtime for the dancers. The energetic music remix queued the girls to begin their routine. 

“I love dancing in front of everybody because I love to perform and everyone loves performances,” said Aanya Bhandari (‘25). 

With more games and rallies coming up in the next months, the team will have more opportunities to perform for the Amador students and staff. Donversity in February, and Rivalry Week will provide more opportunities to watch the Dance Team perform.

“I’m really excited for the rivalry game since I did not perform in it last year. I think it will be a great opportunity to create fun dances to perform,” said Bhandari. 

Since only six members danced on opening night, the captains are hopeful to get all twenty five members on the floor for the next performance.