Raider Nation Devastated

Back to Article
Back to Article

Raider Nation Devastated

Zachary Kolia and Mark Liu

March 27th 2017 will be a day that will never be forgotten in Raider history. Owner, Mark Davis officially made the decision for the Oakland Raiders to become the Las Vegas Raiders after NFL owners approved the relocation. The Raiders received 31 of 32 votes to approve the move. Only 24 votes were needed.

“The Raiders were born in Oakland and Oakland will always be part of our DNA. We know that some fans will be disappointed and even angry, but we hope that they do not direct that frustration to the players, coaches and staff” said Davis.

The decision came after years of rent deals and negotiations with the city of Oakland fell apart. Located in the antiquated Coliseum, one of the oldest stadiums in the NFL, the Raiders are currently the only team in the NFL to share a stadium with a Major League Baseball team, the Oakland Athletics.

The stadium in Las Vegas isn’t expected to be ready until 2020, which means that the Raiders will still be playing in Oakland for the next two seasons.

“Knowing that there’s only two more seasons left in the bay, I’m going to try to go to as many games as possible,” said Terrance Van Tuyl (’18).

The Raiders franchise began in Oakland in 1960 until 1981 when they became the Los Angeles Raiders. In 1995, the Raiders moved back to Oakland and have stayed until now. That makes it 42 total years that the Raiders have been in the bay.

“The move makes me upset because they are leaving the heart of the city of Oakland and all the loyal fans… who have supported a bad team since 2002… at the end of the day, the NFL is a business and the owners don’t care about the fans of a small market team when more money is on the table,” said John Harrington (‘17).  

The relocation being approved has brought a lot of emotion to the franchise’s players, coaches, and fans. Starting quarterback Derek Carr had mixed feelings about the move.

“As I sit here and see a vote that takes the Raiders to Las Vegas, I am overwhelmed with emotion. I don’t know how we should feel. I feel the pain of our fans in Oakland. I also see the joy on the faces of our new fans in Las Vegas. As players, we will show up and give everything we have. We will compete and we will do our best to bring a championship to the entire Raider Nation” said Carr.

The Oakland Raiders fan base is known as one of the most loyal in the NFL. Although this an end to an era in Oakland, it’s a new beginning for the organization moving to Las Vegas.

“The Raiders have been doing bad, and as a fan who kept rooting despite the failures over the years, seeing how good they got last year, I think we deserve better,” said Danny Eun (‘18).