Student Commentary: Obamacare repeal rejected

Mark Liu, Politics Editor

Last week, President Trump announced his decision to pull a repeal of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, as it is better known, from the floor of Congress just hours before a vote was scheduled.

With the Affordable Care Act still in place and no replacement in sight, Trump has failed to deliver on one of his biggest campaign promises.

“I see it as the U.S. government making the right steps in policymaking. Citizens are refusing to blindly follow President Trump’s cult of personality and, instead, are carefully monitoring his plans, as the checks and balances system postulated,” said Clay Tsay (‘18).

Initially instituted in 2010, the Affordable Care Act has helped to dramatically reduce the number of uninsured citizens as well as reduce the national debt; however, it came under heavy fire from various groups who questioned the constitutionality and overreach of the legislation.

“In my opinion, [the repeal] failed because many Trump supporters realized that they themselves would lose coverage if it got repealed. Also it was less of an attempt to get rid of the act, and more of Trump trying to follow through on his ‘opposite of Obama’ point that he used during his campaign,” said Joshua Huang (‘18).

Immediately after the failed repeal, talks of another repeal attempt began in conservative circles.

“Obamacare has its share of issues, this bill wasn’t the one to fix it as it was not popular among conservatives. A new bill will come out and things won’t stay the same, there are too many problems,” said Jacob Warren (‘18).

“Well I think people should understand that this isn’t evidence that moderate Republicans exist or that people convinced Republican congresspeople to change their votes
The cause for the failure was that the Freedom Caucus (Tea Party/far-right members of Congress) is entirely opposed to any form of “socialized” or publicly funded healthcare, or it could just be a secret plan by the Republicans because they knew their plan was worse,” said Charles Hong (‘17).   

A repeal of the ACA would leave too many uninsured. Currently, 24 million Americans do not have any health coverage. Without Obamacare, that number would only rise. It is in the best interests of all Americans that Obamacare stays.