“The Bachelorette” Introduces First African-American Contestant

Esha Chawla, Staff Writer

A spin-off of the American hit reality TV show, “The Bachelor,” “The Bachelorette” is a show in which one woman decides which of 25 men will be her husband. However, through the twelve seasons that have aired on national television, all twelve of the bachelorettes were Caucasian. After much push for racial equality, “The Bachelorette” has revealed that they are introducing Rachel Lindsay, a lawyer and former Bachelor contestant, as the first African-American Bachelorette.

“I think it’s awesome that [“The Bachelorette”] is finally putting in an African American bachelorette because it’s always that [same] stereotypical girl who is on “The Bachelorette” … [Now] Young girls… can see different kinds of people [on “The Bachelorette”]… that they can look up to” said “Bachelorette” viewer Emma Garman (‘19).

“It’s incredible – sensational. Now that there is a black bachelorette, I might watch [“The Bachelorette”]. I’m more intrigued. It should be exciting, and I wonder who she’s going to pick” said Jordan Mitchell (‘17), another African-American literature student.  

“I think that this season will be pretty amazing because we’ve never had an African American as the bachelorette…  Wow: that’s some equality right there” said Katherine Murphy (‘19).

Even though strides to close the racial gap are being closed, students think that there is still a lot to be done.

“I think it’s good to have representation and diversity in television and in media because it allows people to see other cultures and other people, but at the same time, having a “token black person” just for the sake of having a minority doesn’t necessary help diversity” said African-American literature student, Ian Castro (‘17).  

“I don’t think enough has changed. [They’ve] got to bring in other races” said Surabhi Kumar (‘19).

Ultimately, it can be agreed that everyone, fans and non-fans alike, are excited to see “The Bachelorette” introduce more diversity. Make sure to watch “The Bachelorette,” which airs on Monday, May 22 on ABC, to see Rachel Lindsay try to find the love of her life!