Amador’s political cartoons

Emily Twisselmann, Staff Writer

For the past five years, Mr. Doyle’s Drawing 2 class has been assigned with the same task: illustrating their own political cartoons.

It’s no secret that mastering different artistic techniques and media is a challenge. In fact, practicing with charcoal and dip pens can take hours on end. So, It’s important to remember that these projects are more than just political statements- they’re the culmination of weeks of hard work.

“We’ve been studying caricatures and so now I want them to take that skill, but actually have something to say, as artists. I want them to have an opinion, to share that with other people in a way that’s visually interesting and intellectually interesting,” said Mr. Doyle.

“My favorite part is the fact that it’s a cartoon, because sometimes it’s hard to draw realistically. I actually do like working with pen and ink because it’s nice to get the experience” said Drawing 2 student, Sierra Picone (‘18)

Throughout the years, art students have seemed to show the most interest in politics during Presidential campaigns and election processes. The election of Donald Trump has, without a doubt, affected this assignment in particular. This year’s artists have mainly focused their attention on Trump’s connection with Putin, with Hillary Clinton, his thoughts on Global warming, and on his twitter account.

“[This assignment] is for more political perspective, because not a lot of people look into politics. So it helps people see what’s going on in the world more. I love [this assignment] because I need to work on my penwork. I like the effect that it always has, because pen and ink has that signature look to it. The look that I like is hard to get, so it helps with that.” said Drawing 2 student, Brett Cornwell (‘18).

“I’ve actually seen students more interested in politics and this year with the presidential election, students are really interested and have lots of ideas. Two of the best ones I’ve ever seen were four years ago during the previous presidential campaigns, so I think those really inspire students,” said Mr. Doyle.

“I think that we get to express our perspective on the presidential election. Even though we can’t vote, it’s nice to have an opinion in government,” said Sierra Picone (‘18).

These projects are just one of the many ways that Amador Students can creatively express themselves and their opinions.

If you want to check out more cool artwork, Mr. Doyle’s class is located in M6. Drawing 2’s political cartoons will also be displayed in the office.