Aspiring cheerleaders perform at freshman football game

Sydney Queen

The Middle School athletes perform an additional sideline dance for the crowd.

Sydney Queen, Staff Writer

Future Dons from the early October cheer clinic got the opportunity to perform a halftime routine during the AVHS freshman football game against San Ramon Valley High School. The 35 young cheerleaders did a classic sideline cheer and a short dance choreographed by the team. The middle schoolers were given an additional cheer and dance to further challenge the older athletes.

“This clinic honestly was so fun working with these girls. They all had so much energy and they loved being there. It was really fun to see the newer generation of cheerleaders,” said captain Meg Jagoe (‘24).

The cheerleaders who led the clinic were impressed with all the hard work the younger athletes put into learning the material. Delighted by the opportunity to perform, the girls overcame their nerves to put on a show for their friends and family.

“I’m nervous, but I’m excited,” said participant Charlotte Bonomi.

This feeling was one several girls from the competitive team at AVHS could relate to, as they participated in the same clinic when they were younger. Leading this clinic as high schoolers themselves was a full-circle moment for many.

“I did the same clinic with the Amador Cheer team when I was little too, and I did the little ‘future cheerleader’ thing. It was so fun, and it got me into cheer,” said captain Sam Richards (‘24).

I was a part of this clinic when I was little and I got to wear the “future cheerleader” shirt, so now being able to run the clinic as someone who had been in it was really cool to see,” said Jagoe.

The clinic and concluding performance were both successful, and those involved are more than pleased with the outcome.

“(My daughter) already asked me, ‘can I do this workshop next year?’” said parent Bernadet Walker.

The clinic was exceptionally meaningful to the competitive team, who had the pleasure of putting it all together.

“Honestly I think we’ve just realized how much cheer really means to people. I think we may take it for granted but it’s so important to all these little girls. I think that’s really opened our eyes to how important cheer is to other people,” said Jagoe.

The program plans to continue this clinic for as long as possible. The impact it has had on the cheer community surrounding Amador has been immeasurable, and the cheerleaders involved are grateful of the opportunity it has provided.

“I hope that we can continue doing this and spread the word more to get even more kids, because cheer is such an awesome opportunity in high school and I want more kids to have that,” said Julie Asturias (‘24).

• Julie Asturias (’24) and Tayler Krebs (’24) review a cheer with the middle school athletes.

• Presley Cash (’25) gives two younger cheerleaders a piggyback ride.

• The cheerleaders wait on the sideline in anticipation of halftime.

• The cheerleaders line up to receive Jolly Ranchers from captain Meg Jagoe (’24) after their performance.