Best Horror Movies for Halloween

Back to Article
Back to Article

Best Horror Movies for Halloween

Sophie Clinton, Staff Writer

As fall begins, so does the crave for the spine-chilling genre of horror. An ongoing question is if viewing horror movies during fall excites the craze, and if watching it on Halloween makes it more enjoyable.

“I love watching horror movies during fall, but I don’t think watching horror movies on Halloween is the best since Halloween is meant for trick or treating”, said Michaela Riter (‘19).

On the contrary, “Horror movies are good to watch any time or year, but they’re fun on Halloween when you can bond with all your friends and enjoy the eerie spirit.” Said Kaitlyn Mcfall (‘19).

Another debatable topic is the best horror movie made, and from students at Amador there was a wide selection.

“My favorite horror movie would have to be Scream because it’s an original, it’s more creative [plot twists] than the horror movies coming out these days.” Said Haleigh Lopes (‘19).

Many students have trouble on agreeing on the best type of horror movie. On a poll between 100 students, the favored choice was Slasher with a total of 38 votes. The most brought up films were Halloween (1978) and Scream (1996). Second place was Suspense with a total of 32 votes, Paranormal with 16 votes, and Monster with 19 votes.

Even though it’s Halloween, that doesn’t mean people are hoping on the horror movie train. There are still a wide selection of people at Amador who dislike the horror movie trend. When the question of “best horror movie” comes up, the most frequent response were movies such as; The Nightmare Before Christmas, Hocus Pocus, and Halloweentown.

“I’m not really a fan of scary movies, but I’ll take a subtle one like Halloween Town every now and then,” said Katie Risher (‘19)

Some upcoming horror movies to look forward to are; Rings, a movie which takes the idea of the original Ring film and opens up the idea of a movie within a movie, and Ouija: Origin of Evil, another movie centered around the fact that a toy board is haunted.

Overall, despite the vast difference from Amador students figuring out their favorite horror films, everyone can agree that there is no true “Best Horror Movie”, but a range of amazing ones that fall on the line.