What will Jill Biden do as First Lady of the United States

Marisa Fidone

Dr. Biden is the first FLOTUS to have a paying job, in addition to working at the White House.

Aidan Bohen, Staff Writer

As Jill Biden makes her way into the Whitehouse as the First Lady, she advances her many new plans to help Americans. 

Dr. Biden has a PhD in education and is very passionate about helping and teaching others. Getting the role as the First Lady won’t stop her from doing what she loves, which is teaching. She plans on continuing to teach English and writing at Northern Virginia Community College.

COVID-19 has affected millions of students and teachers worldwide, so she wants to offer the utmost help to “lift up teachers and celebrate who they are especially in this pandemic.” 

First Lady Biden also lost both her parents and her son to cancer, so she wants to do everything she can to aid in fighting the deadly disease. 

On only her second day as First Lady, Dr. Biden was seen visiting the Whitman-Walker Health Hospital on a tour with CEO Kim Thiboldeaux of the Cancer support community. 

“Seeing Jill Biden’s plans to help end the spread of cancer is really amazing. It’s a horrible disease that affects millions of people everywhere. I know families who have been personally affected by the disease and knowing the first lady cares so much about ending their suffering is really reassuring,” said Simona Matsoyan (‘21).  

The theme of Biden’s first week in office was Unity. She organized a Zoom call with different governor’s spouses to talk about what was on their minds. During that same meeting, she announced the relaunch of Joining Forces. 

In her past initiative with Michelle Obama, she promised to fight for military personnel and their families. 

Dr. Biden is a first lady who is determined to help unite and care for all Americans.