What are the ripple effects of Trump’s presidency?

Erika Yan

The Capitol Hill riots displayed the polarization of America, which remains even after Trump has left office.

Erika Yan, Staff Writer

After Donald Trump lost the reelection a few weeks ago, rioters stormed Capitol Hill, displaying the growing divide between our political parties. This crowd was made up of pro-Trump supporters, falsely believing that the election was stolen, and protesting Biden’s win. 

Though many of Trump’s supporters believe this event was “patriotic,” the people who condemn these riots were not limited to Democrats.

“The rioters who participated in the storming of the United States Capitol should be condemned to the fullest extent. Their actions were not justified. They utilized violence as a means to achieve their political goals, and violence is never the answer,” said Lionel Liu (‘22), a conservative.

Admittedly, it is not fair to compare all Republicans to these select few. 

“The Republicans who rebuked the Trump supporters on the 6th were correct [to do so], because they were causing massive harm and damage to a very democratic situation. Those few people did not represent the MAGA movement, nor did they represent President Trump’s administration… the majority of President Trump’s supporters are hard-working Americans who hold traditional conservative values,” says Liu.

Several prominent Republican figures have also spoken out about the riots to criticize Trump—Republican senators like Ted Cruz, Marsha Blackburn, Ron Johnson, and Marco Rubio all sent out tweets denouncing the rioters and calling for peace. Nonetheless, these rioters are linked to the Republican party because the riots can be attributed to Donald Trump.

“The root of the capital riots was undeniably Trump. He has been stirring on his supporters for years to take part in bold actions that are in his own interest. Hours before the riot, Trump sent out tweets that incited violence, with only a passing remark at nonviolence. After the event, he made claims of how it went too far in which he was obviously feigning remorse,” said co-president of Junior State of America (JSA), Raahim Nawaz (‘23). “The Republicans that sided with Trump will most likely lay low for some time until they believe that they will be safe from ridicule. They need to focus on upholding the constitution of the United States of America, protecting its citizens and laws of our nations, and make sure this act of domestic terrorism is recognized for what it is, and not just stand by their party.”

While Trump is no longer in office, many of his loyal supporters keep his beliefs, such that Biden’s presidency is undeserved, alive in America. In recent years, we’ve seen increasing polarization between the two political parties. Although a majority on both sides could agree that the riots should be condemned, the two sides remain largely divided.

“The clashing of the two parties will only force people to choose a side and blindly follow it. Blind following of their parties is not something that only the American public is guilty of but also many government officials. The officials have a tendency to focus on furthering their own parties and ignore bipartisan rulings,” said Nawaz.

When people emphasize the distinctions between the parties, they often concentrate on what is best for their own political agenda, rather than what is best for most Americans. At this time, we have the choice to come together and work towards a compromise. 

“I think the people have to work towards that goal and the government can play a very big part in leading the way and passing legislation that benefits the people. My hope is that they can work to repair divisions, but I fear the polarizing effects of Trump’s presidency will continue to fester,” said Vice President of High School Democrats of America Kyra Sande (‘22).