Amador Traditions: St. Patrick’s Day

Anita Shahiary ('18) with a colorful face paint she got at the St. Patrick's Day Festival.

Gabriela Miller

Gabriela Miller

Gabriela Miller, Pop Culture Editor

March is known for events such as Women’s History Month and even St. Patrick’s Day. This holiday commemorates the death of St.Patrick, the culture of Ireland, and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland.

Every March the city of Dublin puts on St. Patrick’s Day celebrations to honor the Irish holiday. The city has five main events- a festival, Green and White Gala, pancake breakfast, the parade, and the Shamrock 5k Fun Run and Walk.

The festival took place on Saturday the 18th and Sunday the 19th, from 10am to 5pm each day. The celebrations will take place at the Civic Center in Dublin.

There, people enjoyed Irish music and dance. The music ranges from Celtic Rock and bagpipes to traditional Irish folk. Don’t miss the Irish Dancers performing on the Dance Stage.

Another part of the festival is the international food court featuring corned beef sliders, Guinness-marinated Tri-Tip, and soda bread. Traditional festival favorites were served as well as funnel cakes and kettle corn.

Lastly, there were be over 250 booths offering Celtic artwork and other Irish novelties. Irish books, music, and crafts will also be sold. There will be non-profit groups and craft booths for smaller children.

The Green and White Gala was be on Friday March 17th at 6pm at the Dublin Senior Center. This event traditionally starts off the festivities of the weekend. Dignitaries and other guests from Dublin’s sister city Bray Ireland, were be welcomed.

The Firefighter’s St. Patrick’s Day Pancake Breakfast was be Saturday, March 18th from 7am-10am at Fire Station #16. For only 5 dollars you can start the morning off with delicious pancakes before finding your seats for the parade.

The parade itself will feature Irish Dancers, Celtic music, and other floats to celebrate Irish history and culture. It will start at 9:30 am on Saturday, March 18th. The parade course ran from Amador Plaza to Dublin Boulevard to Village Parkway to Amador Valley Boulevard.

The next day, March 19th, the Shamrock 5K Fun Run and Walk started  at 8:30 am on Dublin Boulevard at Civic St.Patrick’s Day 2017Plaza.

In addition to all the festivities happening in our neighbor city, students around campus have their own traditions too.

“Every year on St. Patrick’s Day we eat corned beef as a family” said Matt Kenning (‘20).

“St. Patrick’s Day is also my mom’s birthday. We do eat potatoes and hang out” said Emmy Swyers (‘20).